- Op-Ed in the New York Times about the major ISP’s becoming to bandwidth what OPEC is to oil.
- The BBC is running an article about the estimated cost of rewiring (fibering if you will) the UK. They explore the costs of FTTH vs FTTN.
- For those of you with interest in where your tax dollars go. UEN recently completed a partial backbone upgrade from 1G links to 10G links in 5 locations. UEN provides Internet connectivity to all of Utah’s public schools K-12 and Higher Ed.
- AT&T has announced it is expanding their whole home DVR service. Apparently it only needs a software upgrade to current boxes. You can watch Verizon’s runny Kevin Gernett ad about this feature on YouTube. For those of you who like to build your own know MythTV has had this capability for a while now. With the latest release adding auto-discovery of other MythTV backends on the same (home) network.
- After seeing Jesse’s post about Manti telecom I thought it would be good to post a map of Utah’s Rural Telecoms. For those who aren’t aware Qwest is not the Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (think primary phone provider) in much of Utah (land wise).
- An article on Ars Technica shows that broadband seems to be desired more over phone or HDTV service.
Broadband Bytes: Monday Edition
Bookmark the permalink.