Just moments ago, Centerville's City Council voted 3-2 to approve the new UTOPIA bonds, coming down to a "lesser of two evils" yes vote from Council Member Justin Allen, the swing vote on the council. The vote comes with conditions that Centerville reserves the right to reconsider based on how the remaining three cities vote, that UTOPIA find new executives and that UTOPIA present all contracts to the board before moving forward. All amendments were proposed by Paul Cutler, member of the Council and UTOPIA's board.
This now leaves only three cities, Brigham City, Orem and Murray, to cast votes on the issue. I encourage anyone in favor of UTOPIA to contact the council members to voice support leading up to these meetings.
The title pretty much says it all. Instead of a meeting closed to public comment, the Centerville City Council will accept additional public comment during tonight's meeting. If you're able to make it and speak in favor of UTOPIA, please do so!
I've received updated meeting times for the rescheduled UTOPIA meetings as follows:
- Brigham City: Thursday May 1 at 7PM
- Centerville: Tuesday April 29 at 7PM
- Murray: Monday May 5 at 6:30PM
- Orem: Friday May 2 at 9AM
- Payson: No re-vote
The addresses should be the same as the prior meetings and can be located on the sidebar. Payson has decided to not reconsider approving the new bonds for UTOPIA and will likely start paying from its pledges on the original bond arrangement. All other hearings will not be accepting any further public comment since they've already had significant public input. I'd encourage you to attempt to make as many of these meetings as you can and take the time to write to city council members.
The Murray Municipal Council voted 5-0 to table the final vote on the UTOPIA bonds until Monday May 5 at 6:30PM. The feeling is that they had a lot of information to process and needed additional time to come to a final decision. The audience was split pretty evenly between supporters and opponents and Mayor Snarr made an impassioned speech on the necessity of this infrastructure. My gut feeling is that the council will move to approve the bonds as the best option available.